Thursday, September 10, 2009

Maize Days

I get to do some fun things at work, but I usually don't think about posting about them until after they're over. Well, we have a two day event this weekend and I thought I'd just let you know about it in case any of you local gals want to come check it out!

We're calling it the Maize Days Festival- it's free admission to come, it will be in Layton Park. There are arts and craft booths that will be selling their stuff, food vendors, live entertainment, and my favorite...a children's art yard with free projects for kiddos.
Anyways, it's Friday from 3-8 and Saturday from 8-8 with a ticketed concert by Voice Male Sat. at 7pm.
Another work related story:

Sometimes when my boss is gone, I'll talk to reporters to give quotes. Recently...I was talking to someone about Maize Days, and the article came out today. It cracked me up!

I guess I hadn't realized yet that reporters literally write down e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g you say. I thought in the interview I said a few intelligent things...but the only quotes that came out in the article were my silly, random, side comments mixed in with giggles! Not my finest moment, but definitely one I can laugh at.

Here are the literary gems that are sadly from yours truly:

First the reporter wrote, "
The name of the festival was inspired by the Layton area’s history of farming corn, a connection that organizers know that residents might not necessarily make. "

And then she quoted me saying....drum roll please....

"A lot of people have been calling and asking about 'Maisy Days', so I don't know if the corn thing has really come through," said DAC Executive Assistant Heather Hendrix. She laughed. "It's really cute."

Nice huh? It even says that I laughed! Ah! Then...about the singing group Voice Male.

"For some reason, everyone in an a cappella group is always so personable and funny" said Hendrix. "I swear, they're just the nicest guys."

I have no clue why I said that! I've never even met the group. It is just what popped out when she asked me why I thought people liked watching a cappella performances.

Hmmm....I'll work on it. Any advice Allison? I'm sure your pro :)

9 comments:

The Dahls said...

Ha ha! I love your funny little comments. You're so cute. I actually used to work with one of the members of Voicemale and he IS very nice and personable...so you were right on the money with that one. We are planning on going to "Maisy Days" and I'm pretty excited!

It's Me...shell said...

ha ha I've always liked your funny little comments. And it's lovely when you're when people only take the random weird things you say instead of thinking out the intelligent things you say. Story of my life. ha ha ha

Ellie said...

You're just so cute! And I think your comments are perfect. :) Even if you don't actually "know" VoiceMale. Hahaha! Jeremy just laughed when he read them b/c even though they might not have been the quotes you would have picked..."that sounds just like her." :) We might stop by on Sat and see what Maize Days is all about. :)

Allison and Noah Riley said...

That's so funny - the WHOLE time I was reading this I was recalling my awful "really, really, really" quote (http://reallytherileys.blogspot.com/2008/06/really-rileys.html) in a story last year.

I've since made it my personal goal to never be quoted on behalf of a client - that's the nice thing about being at an agency, I'm not actually the spokesperson!

I thought you sounded great :).

Michelle said...

Thanks for letting us know. We'll definately try to stop by, it sounds like it will be fun! Love your quotes, lol :), you're cute.

Ashley said...

Loved it! Just loved it. I hope everything goes well this weekend!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you posted about Maize Days, it was lots of fun, thanks :)! I looked for you there but didn't see you.

Kym said...

Oh this makes me miss yo guys so much! Haha Heather you are too cute! I can't believe I missed that article. It was really great seeing you guys again! I promise I will come visit lots!

Home on the Grange said...

Here I am feeling like we're all neck-deep in writing press releases in school, and you've switched sides on me! Haha! That's so cool that you have experience being the interviewee now too. Good for you!