Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Votes for Women!

I slipped out on my lunch hour to meet Ashley at King elementary. We wanted to vote together; she just turned 18 a month ago so this was her first time! It's funny to think she'll never know what it was like using the poker and chad, it's all electronic and so user friendly now!

When we walked into the building, we ran into one of our neighbors. She joined us as we walked down the hall. A second later, we passed another neighbor lady on her way out. When we walked into the room, all four volunteers were women. They were all excited that Ash was voting for her first time. It went smooth and we each earned a coveted "I VOTED" sticker.

As we left, I couldn't help but get the same feeling I always do when I vote...the feeling that I am so lucky to be a woman at this point in time. I am in awe of the ones that paved the way for this all to be possible. I bet they're up there in Heaven cheering us women on as we mark our ballots!

3 comments:

Ellie said...

I love that song in Mary Poppins! "Our daughter's daughter's will adore us...and they'll sing in grateful chorus..." Yay! Jeremy and I forgot to register in our new precinct so we're crossing our fingers and going right after work...hopefully they'll let us register and vote on the same day...

Jenna said...

I was thinking the same thing as Marilyn! "Votes for Women! step in time, VOtes for women, step in time....do you remember we watch that together! I think the was the last time i watched that movie! Wow, I never really thought of voting like the way you described it! I feel a little guilty. In the future I will definitly think about all the wonderfl women who went before! VOTES FOR WOMEN!!!

The Pyper's! said...

Yeah!! Love voting! Good for Ash wanting to vote!