Recently we did a design project in our living room I thought I'd share. We have an entire wall of shelves and until now they had books, movies, and mis-matched nicknacks on them. There wasn't a real rhyme or reason to them, so we decided to make it more cohesive.
Here's a picture of our blank canavas. We took colors from our living room to choose the color palette- orange, cream, and black. We also decided we wanted some glass pieces mixed in.
The frames were a nice (and cheap) way to take up some space on the shelves. We didn't even end up putting pictures in all of them, some we left blank.
Another "memory" themed project are the jars on the lower shelf. One jar has ticket stubs from things we go to like concerts, plays, movies, sporting events, etc. The next one has mementos from vacations, and the third one has a bunch of odds and ends we collected on our honeymoon- rocks from the beach, a voucher for a free game of mini-golf we won, a bottle opener from the Grand America Hotel, stuff like that. We have six jars in all and are having fun deciding what to put in them!
One thing I knew I wanted was to have a few items on the shelves that were unusual; some things that almost don't belong. For instance, I picked out this little cake stand at Hobby Lobby.
Another thing we did was fill a glass jar (I don't have a close up picture of it) with pennies. The pennies are the perfect copper orange color. We have been picking pennies up off the sidewalk frequently, now that we have a place for them.
Our little hamster Belle lives on the shelves too. I think she likes her spot there. I love how she literally eats 'in' her food bowl. Too cute.
10 comments:
So so Cute! I love it! Want to come to my house? I love the penny idea and the globe. It makes your house feel inviting. I love it!
Looks great! I love the frames!
I heart your shelves and I heart Young House Love. One of my fav blogs ever. :) I'm so glad your frame idea worked out...seriously, so cute!
way cute! go team heather&scott. you guys are great together!
You guys are so creative. I love all the jars and the things you put in them. What a great idea. You guys are so cute.
love it!!!
I love love love it!! So creative. Miss Judd would be very pleased!!
I am so impressed! It looks fabulous! You two are so creative.
Super Cute!
Wow! Well done! I love it.
Post a Comment